Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Planning and Building Standards

What is allowed without planning permission?

If you are a householder, wanting to alter or extend your house, you have what are known as 'permitted development rights'. These rights allow you to carry out certain developments without needing consent from the council, for example:

  • Small front porches
  • Some rear extensions/conservatories
  • Satellite dishes
  • Replacement windows etc.

These rights don't exist in conservation areas, meaning that even relatively small alterations and developments there will need planning permission.

If you are operating a business, then you also have some limited permitted development rights. Please contact us to find out what these are at

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)