Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Council tax

Can I get council tax reduction?

You can apply for council tax reduction whether you own your own home, rent, are unemployed or are working.

To qualify for council tax reduction:

  • You must be on a low income whether from DWP benefits or low paid work.
  • You must be the person responsible for paying the council tax bill.
  • You (and your partnermust not have more than £16,000 in savings or capital, unless you are receiving Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit).

For more information go to the UK government: Recommended Benefits Calculators or you can request a free benefits health check from the council.

If you do not meet these requirements, you may still be entitled to other discounts or reductions:

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)