Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Housing services

Apply for housing

Find out how to apply for council housing.

Woman and baby stood outside their council house

Why apply for council or housing association housing?

You may never have thought of becoming a council tenant or you may think you are not eligible. It may be time to think again about your options.

With mortgages becoming increasingly difficult to obtain and private sector rents on the increase, this may be the perfect time to consider becoming a council tenant. Council rents in East Renfrewshire are lower than the average for Scotland, and a council house in East Renfrewshire comes with the council's commitment to quality right behind it. You should note, however, that because East Renfrewshire has a relatively small amount of social rented housing, some areas have more opportunities than others. With the best schools and parks in Scotland, excellent transport links, and some of the most affordable rents around, we're sure you'll be right at home in East Renfrewshire.

How to apply for a house

How to complete the housing application form
You can download and print our housing application form pdf icon ERHR Application Form [595kb], and return it to us. If this is not suitable, you can also contact us directly on 0141 577 3001 and we will send you an application form to complete and return. If you need advice, or have any questions about applying for housing, please contact us.

Proof of circumstances

In order to process your application form we require proof of your circumstances and eligibility. You must provide originals of relevant documents. Our Customer First staff at our offices in Barrhead or Giffnock will photocopy your documents and return the originals to you. We have listed below examples of proofs we accept.

In most instances we only require one form of proof which can be any of the following:

Proof of address:

  • A council tax bill (current financial year)
  • A utility bill from the past three months (electricity/gas/landline telephone)
  • A bank statement from the last three months (or dated bank letters detailing account number) (or email accounts for online banking).

Proof of Identity:

  • A passport
  • A driving licence or provisional licence
  • A letter or card from the DWP or HM Revenue and Customs
  • A benefit award letter and P60

Proof of National Insurance Number:

  • A national insurance card
  • A payslip/p60 or benefit award letter
  • Letter or card from the DWP or HM Revenue and Customs.

Returning your application form

Please return your application to any one of the three landlords listed on this page.

What happens when you submit your application?

You will receive an acknowledgement confirming your reference number and details. You will also receive a registration letter confirming how many points you have. The points awarded depend on your personal circumstances and will determine where you are placed on the waiting list.

What can I expect from council properties?

All of our properties are double glazed, have affordable heating, come with modern kitchens and bathrooms and most have controlled door entry systems.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)