Skip to content

Births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships

Registering a birth

These pages tell you who can register a birth , where to go to do this and what you will need to bring along.

A birth which occurs in Scotland must be registered within 21 days by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. A birth that occurs in Scotland can be registered at any Registration Office within Scotland.

A birth can be registered at our offices in Eastwood Park or Main Street, Barrhead.  Please telephone to make an appointment.

Who can register a birth?

If the parents of the child are married to each other, either the mother or the father can register the birth.

If the parents are unmarried and both parents wish the fathers name to be included on the register, both mother and father must attend the registration office.

Under exceptional circumstances a relative could register the birth, but you would need to contact the Registrar for advice.

What documents should I bring?

You should bring:

  • the notification card from the hospital
  • marriage certificate (if applicable)

Tell us Once

We offer a Tell us Once service which allows the Registrar to contact council departments and organisations on your behalf to inform them of the birth. When you are booking the registration appointment please indicate if you wish to use this service.

What documents I will receive?

When the registration is complete the Registrar will issue, free of charge

  • An abbreviated birth certification
  • A Form EC58 - this document allows you to register your child with the doctors surgery

A full birth certificate can be issued on payment of the statutory fee. For more information on fees, go to the related pages area.

Feedback on this page

Was this page helpful?

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)