Skip to content

Our Customer Service opening hours are 8.45am - 4.45pm, Monday to Friday. The Payment Centre hours are 9am - 4.15pm, with only credit/debit card payments (not cash) between 1pm and 2pm. 

Live chat: If you cannot find what you're looking for, or need help completing an online form, our Customer Service Officers are available on live chat between 8.45am- 4.45pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). Live chat 

Planning and Building Standards

Apply for a Letter of Comfort

Some historic unauthorised building works may be granted a letter of comfort: what requires a letter of comfort and how to apply.

A letter of comfort is a letter from us which states that action will not be taken in respect of specified works which have either:

  • been completed before the 1 May 2005 without the required building warrant being obtained (unauthorised), or
  • been carried out with a building warrant, but no certificate of completion was obtained before this building warrant expired

This letter is only issued after a satisfactory inspection has been carried out and any remedial works required have been satisfactorily completed.

To apply, please complete the application form and return it to:

Building Standards
2 Spiersbridge Way,
Spiersbridge Business Park,
East Renfrewshire.
G46 8NG

From 1st April 2018, East Renfrewshire Council will no longer accept cheques as a payment method for planning and building standards applications

Please read the guidance notes on how to apply:

This is not a replacement for the legal requirement to obtain a building warrant.

Adequate detailed drawings showing full compliance may be required along with the exposure of any part of the completed works that is deemed necessary to confirm  compliance. Dependent on the works carried out we may still have to consider taking legal action against you for non compliance and health and safety matters. We will however work with you to resolve issues to regularise the situation.

Searching archived documentation

Applications received without the appropriate fee will not be processed. Full details are on the application form:

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)