Local housing strategy
Information about the East Renfrewshire Local Housing Strategy
Every Council must produce a 5 year Local Housing Strategy (LHS) for their local area. The LHS is the key housing plan for the area which considers all the "big issues" relating to our homes and the people living within them.
The LHS is important as it sets our vision for what we want to achieve locally to improve housing across all tenures (i.e. social and private rent and owner occupation), and in turn how we are going to tackle these issues over a 5-year period.
Copies of the current LHS 2012-2017 and a range of supporting documents can be found in the 'Related documents' section on this page.
We want to hear your views!
People. Homes. Brighter Futures - Our Strategy for Housing in East Renfrewshire
We are currently consulting on the big housing issues people want to see tackled through our next 5-year strategy.
Through our online survey we want to find out your views on a range of housing issues such as:
- Building more council and Housing Association homes
- Options for assisting first time renters and buyers
- Improving the condition of all homes
- Ensuring homes are warm, safe and energy efficient
- Preventing homelessness
- Building and adapting homes to suit a range of needs
- Tackling anti social behaviour
- Supporting people to live independently within the community
Please have your say at:
East Renfrewshire's current LHS (2012-2017) has the following vision:
'Good quality and affordable housing opportunities are available to all our residents, within safe and attractive neighbourhoods'.
The LHS plans how we can help people find a suitable place to live by building the right homes in the right places, and investing in the homes we already have.
It also looks at how we can help our residents remain in the home they have by providing the right advice to those facing financial difficulties, assistance to keep properties in good repair, and support to help people live independently in their own homes.
To achieve this East Renfrewshire's LHS identifies six strategic housing outcomes:
- People in East Renfrewshire can find a place to live which is affordable to them.
- Fewer households experience homelessness through improved prevention, and those who become homeless can access good quality accommodation, advice and support services.
- Residents of East Renfrewshire, in all housing tenures, live in good quality housing.
- Residents of East Renfrewshire live in warm, dry and energy efficient homes in safe and sustainable neighbourhoods.
- More older people and those with particular needs are able to live well in housing which best suits their needs.
- People can access the information they need to make informed choices about their housing options.
What does the Local Housing Strategy mean for you?
If you work for East Renfrewshire Council or another organisation who provide housing or housing related services locally:
As well as delivering more of the right homes in the right places, the LHS covers multi tenure housing matters such as homelessness, fuel poverty and housing support.
Therefore, achieving the improvements set out in the LHS relies heavily on a number of different Council services and partner organisations, not just the Housing Service, to ensure the work we do 'joins up' successfully for our customers.
If you are an MP, MSP, Councillor/ Elected Member:
Each will have a range of owners and tenants, different types of households and communities within the local area that they cover.
As a result, there are a variety of housing matters that local residents may seek advice or representation on and the LHS provides the starting point for finding out more about local services and planned improvements.
If you live in East Renfrewshire or want to move here:
The LHS sets out how we will ensure we have the right homes in the right places to meet housing needs.
It also highlights the range of services available to help people find a home or to stay in their home, and opportunities to get involved in shaping housing services locally.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about the LHS, please contact the Housing Strategy Team.