Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships

Tell Us Once

A service to allow sharing of information between council departments and other organisations in the event of a birth or death.

East Renfrewshire Council has teamed up with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to deliver Tell Us Once, a new service that notifies local council services and government departments of a death or birth.  It is carried out as part of the registration process.


Who can register for Tell Us Once?

The deceased's Next of Kin (closest relative by blood or marriage to the deceased) or the person dealing with their estate can register for this service.  In order to provide us with the information necessary for this service, you must obtain permission from these persons if they wish you to act on their behalf.  

What services are notified?

East Renfrewshire Council can notify the relevant departments and organisations if the deceased person:

  • was a Council Tenant
  • had input from Social Services i.e. Home Helps, Occupational Therapy Equipment or had an allocated Social Worker
  • was in receipt of any benefits/allowances such Attendance Allowance, Blue Badge, Disability Living Allowance, Carer's Allowance, Working/child Tax Credits, Child Benefit, Council Tax Rebate or Housing Benefit
  • was a member of the local library
  • was a War Pensioner
  • was subject to Personal Taxation
  • was on the Electoral Roll
  • was in receipt of Public Service Pension

What details do you need?

  • the deceased's National Insurance Number and if married at the time of the event, National Insurance Number of Spouse
  • passport / passport number
  • Driving Licence and if car holder/owner, Registration Number of car
  • Blue Badge
  • Details of any benefits/services they were receiving


Who can register for Tell Us Once?

The parent or parents of the child can use this service.

What services are notified?

The following organisations can be contacted if you ask us to:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Department of Work and Pensions - Job Centre Plus
  • Children's Services (Family Information Services)
  • HMRC - Child Benefit
  • HMRC - Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit

What details do you need?

  • National Insurance Number
  • Details of any benefits you may receive
  • Details of the partner named on the birth register (if they live in the same household) including their N.I. number and/or date of birth and information about any benefits they may be receiving
  • A completed Child Benefit form - we can verify the child's date of birth and forward the details to HMRC without the original birth certificate being sent.

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially.  The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update records and provide information on relevant services.  They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.  Our privacy statement in the related documents section tells you how we will use and protect the information you provide when you use the Tell Us Once service.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)