Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Adults and older people

Getting back up to speed (re-ablement)

Support getting up to speed once you've left hospital and are back at home.

What is available?

The Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) is committed to the development of a 're-ablement service'. This approach has been found to be successful in other parts of the country. Re-ablement involves support from care staff to help people improve their ability to undertake tasks which may be difficult following an illness, for example:

  • Dressing.
  • Meal preparation.
  • Getting to the toilet .

Whether you've been in hospital or not we will visit you. We will talk over the things you want to achieve and work with you so you can do them. Our aim is to enable people to have as much independence as possible. Support will be given by occupational therapists and home care staff to give you the confidence to do as much as you can, all by yourself. Where you still need someone to help you we'll make that support available.

We will advise you on services you can access in your home:

Who can get help or who can get the service?

Anyone within the community can get access to the service where it is needed. If you've had an illness or an accident this type of service is likely to be something we will recommend to help us decide with you whether you need support in the long term.

How does a person access the help/service?

For people who are being discharged from hospital where there appears to be a need for a support to get home we'll offer a re-ablement service in most cases.

Otherwise, where you feel that this type of service might help you please contact Customer First on and they will advise you of the next steps.

How much does it cost?

The re-ablement service will be free and is likely to last about 6 weeks in most cases.

A leaflet about the service is available for download:

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)