Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Carers and advocacy

Looking after yourself as a carer

As a carer it is important that you look after your own health and wellbeing as well as the person you support.

Support from your doctor

It is important to let your GP know that you are a carer. Your GP may be able to arrange appointments to fit with your caring responsibilities. They will also give you information about important health programmes available to carers for example vaccination to protect you from seasonal flu.

Managing stress

Providing a caring role to a loved one can be very isolating and emotionally draining.  You may find it useful to talk to a professional or others in a similar situation about this. Ask your GP or contact our local carers centre.

East Renfrewshire Carers Centre are available to talk things through with you or simply provide a listening ear.  Knowing that you are not alone and that other carers can understand how you feel can also be of great comfort.  The Carers Centre facilitates various groups where you can meet with other carers.  At the groups, you can access valuable information from each other as well as from invited speakers from relevant organisations.

Looking after your back

If you need to lift or move the person you care for it is important to protect your back. Make sure you are trained to do this properly.  You can contact your GP or East Renfrewshire HSCP on the Single Point of Access number, 0141 451 0866, to get appropriate training.

Keeping active

Taking time for yourself is important. There are lots of things to do across East Renfrewshire to keep active in your community. Take a look at the life outside caring or leisure sections for further information.  Whether joining a local walking group, volunteering or participating in inter-generational opportunities, there are great opportunities for getting involved in your community.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)