Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).


Cooling tower notification licence

Apply for a cooling tower notification licence.

Licence summary

  • If you control non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify the local authority of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises.
  • Notification must be in writing (including by electronic means) on a form approved by the Health & Safety Executive.
  • You must notify the local authority of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change, in writing.
  • If the device ceases to be a notifiable device you must notify the local authority in writing as soon as possible.

Eligibility criteria

  • No provision in legislation

Regulation summary

  • A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application evaluation process

  • No provision in legislation

Will 'Tacit Consent' apply?

  • Yes, where the local authority fails to make a decision within six months of receipt of the application, the licence is deemed to be granted or renewed.

What happens if I don't hear from the council within the specified time?

  • This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from East Renfrewshire Council by the end of the target completion period


  • There is no fee to notify us of a cooling tower or evaporative condenser on your premises.

Apply online

Failed application redress

Please contact:

East Renfrewshire Council Environmental Health Section,
Capelrig House,
Capelrig Road,
Newton Mearns
G77 6N

Telephone 0141 577 3782  

Licence holder redress

  • Please contact your East Renfrewshire Council Environmental Health Section in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked follow the UK government: Consumer rights advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

  • E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations

  • None

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)