Skip to content

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays)



Skip Permit licence

Apply and pay for a skip permit licence. Skip permits should be applied for 3 working days in advance. An application must be made for each separate skip location by the skip owner only.

For builder's skips, please see:

Licence summary

  • If you wish to deposit a builders skip on the road / footway or verge you must have consent.
  • Consent is obtained from the local council.
  • By the skip owner only.

Eligibility criteria and regulations

What happens if I don't hear from the council within the specified time?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.


  • There is a cost of £46.75 for a skip licence.

Apply online

Application evaluation process

Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following:

  • Siting the skip.
  • Available road space.
  • Skip dimensions.
  • Making skips visible to traffic.
  • Care and disposal of skip contents.
  • Lighting and guarding of skips.
  • Skip removal.

Failed application redress

Please contact East Renfrewshire Council in the first instance on 0141 577 3417.

Licence holder redress

Please contact East Renfrewshire Council in the first instance on 0141 577 3417.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked follow UK government: Consumer rights advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

  • E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade associations

  • None

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)