Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

We're looking for customers to give us feedback to help us improve our website and make a difference to our digital services.


Window cleaner's licence

Apply and pay for a window cleaner's licence.

Attention all window cleaners

It has come to the attention of the council that there are window cleaner operatives working within the East Renfrewshire area without the required window cleaner's licence. You need a licence if you intend to work as a window cleaner with the East Renfrewshire area.

The licence itself may be held in the name of a firm, company or in the name of an individual person. If this activity affects you, may I take this opportunity to remind you that all staff including all employees who are carrying out the activity of window cleaning within the East Renfrewshire Area will require to apply and be granted a window cleaning licence from the local authority.

Licence summary

  • To work as a window cleaner in East Renfrewshire, you need a licence from the local authority.

Eligibility criteria

  • None

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulations covering this licence can be found at:

Application evaluation process

  • A licence fee will be payable
  • Applications must:
    • Be in writing (including by electronic means)
    • Be signed by the applicant (including by electronic means)
  • The local authority will send a copy of the application to the Chief Constable

Will 'Tacit Consent' apply?

Yes, where the local authority fails to make a decision within six months of receipt of the application, the licence is deemed to be granted or renewed.

What happens if I don't hear from the council within the specified time?

It is in the public interest that East Renfrewshire Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.


  • Business/ Owner  fee of £185 (1 year); £370 (2 year) and £445 (3 year)
  • Employee fee of £90 (1 year); £175 (2) year ; £210 (3 year)
  • There is a cost of £40 to change a window cleaners licence
  • There is no cost to surrender a window cleaners licence

Application form

Failed application redress

Please contact the council in the first instance:

East Renfrewshire Council
Legal services
Council Headquarters
Eastwood Park,
Rouken Glen Road
G46 6UG
Telephone: 0141 577 4684

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Sheriff at:

Paisley Sheriff Court,
St. James St,

A Sheriff may give directions on the issue of a licence.

Licence holder redress

Please contact the council in the first instance:

East Renfrewshire Council
Legal services
Council Headquarters
Eastwood Park,
Rouken Glen Road
G46 6UG
Telephone: 0141 577 4684

Consumer complaint

  • We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked follow UK government: Consumer rights advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

If you wish to make any objection or representation in relation to an application this must be in writing.

If you unsuccessfully made any objection or representation to an application, subject to you have taken all steps open to you in the consideration of the application by the Licensing Authority, you can appeal to the local sheriff within 28 days of the decision. The sheriff can only uphold an appeal if they consider that the licensing authority:

  • Erred in law
  • Used incorrect material fact when making their decision
  • Acted contrary to natural justice
  • Didn't exercise their discretion in a reasonable manner

Appeals against a sheriff's decision can be made to the Court of Session within 28 days of the decision.

Other redress

  • None

Trade associations

  • None

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)