Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

We're looking for customers to give us feedback to help us improve our website and make a difference to our digital services.

Catchment areas and placing requests

External advice and legislation

Information concerning schools in other authorities is available from the education offices or department of that authority.

Specific information on placing request procedures is available from the Scottish Learning Directorate, which can be found at:

The Scottish Government Learning Directorate
Victoria Quay

If your child has additional support needs you will find advice including information about choosing a school and your appeal rights from Enquire and Children in Scotland:

Children in Scotland
Level 1, Rosebery House
9 Haymarket Terrace
EH12 5EZ

Legislation relevant to this topic includes:

  • Education (Scotland) Act 1980 (HMSO) as amended by Section 1 of the Education (Scotland) Act 1981, section 33 of the Education (Scotland) Act 1996 and section 44 of the Standards in Scottish Schools Act 2000.
  • Education (School and Placing Information) (Scotland) Regulation 1982 (S1 1982 No 950 (S.125)) and Amendment Etc. Regulations 1993.
  • Education (Appeal Committee Procedures) (Scotland) Regulations 1982 (S1 1982 No 1736)
  • Education (Placing in Schools and Deemed Decisions) (Scotland) Regulations 1981 (S1 185 No 1733)
  • Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004
  • Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2009

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)