Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

News and announcements

Nominations open for community council

Residents who are passionate about their local area are being urged to get involved in Crookfur, Greenfarm and Mearns Village Community Council

Recent changes to how local community councils operate are making it easier for people to play an active role in improving their community.

Nominations are now open to anyone who is 16 or over, on the electoral register and passionate about their local area. The deadline for nominations being submitted is Thursday 9 March at 12noon.

Community councils are a great way for people who care about their local area to get things done. They usually meet once a month for a couple of hours and are a special type of community group that have a legal right to be consulted on a number of important local issues. They are a direct link between local people and the council, NHS, police, fire service and other public bodies.

Each community council receives a small amount of money from the council to operate. They give their views on everything from new housing plans to alcohol licensing applications and crime. It is also an opportunity to campaign on specific issues, run local events and support good causes.

We're looking for people from all walks of life. All you need are ideas, energy and enthusiasm and we will provide as much support as you need to get the best from being a community representative.
- Councillor Mary Montague, East Renfrewshire convener for community services and community safety

As part of the nomination process candidates are required to submit a personal statement of up to 250 words in support of their nomination. Candidates need a proposer and seconder who must all stay in the relevant neighbourhood area. Self-nomination is not permitted.

Anyone interested in joining Crookfur, Greenfarm and Mearns Village community council should send an email or call 0141 577 4645.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)