Skip to content

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays)



Entertainment licence

Apply and pay for an entertainment licence.

A licence is needed if you wish to hold any of the following types of events or activities where members of the public are charged entry or are allowed to use facilities for entertainment purposes:

  • Open air concerts
  • Circuses
  • Fairgrounds
  • Large fetes with tented accommodation for the public
  • Snooker, billiard or pool halls, which don't have an alcohol licence


An entertainment licence costs:

  • £267.00 for 1 year
  • £507.00 for 2 years 
  • £720.00 for 3 years

Payment is due at the time you submit your application at this office.

Applications can't be emailed to us. You must print the form, complete it and either post or hand-deliver it to the licensing office with the appropriate fee. 


Application fees are non-refundable, even if your application is subsequently refused or withdrawn.

However, you'll be entitled to a refund of the enforcement element of the application fee (15% of total fee). You'll require to submit the request for this refund in writing to us. 

Download an application form 

pdf icon Public entertainment licence application [186kb]

What happens next?

When your application is submitted and the appropriate fee has been paid, a copy of your application will be sent to Police Scotland, Strathclyde Fire and Rescue and various council departments. Your application may also be sent to the UK Borders Agency. They will carry out their own investigations and inspections and report back to the licensing office. A copy will also be sent to the local community council for information.

We'll usually process your application within 6 to 8 weeks. Legislation allows for consideration of the application within 3 months and a decision within 6 months.

If objections are received in relation to your application you'll be sent a copy of the letter or letters of objection. Your application, the letter(s) of objection and your response will then be referred to a meeting. You'll be called to a hearing before the Licensing Committee and given the opportunity of addressing the committee.


If you need any further information, contact us:

Write to: East Renfrewshire Council, Legal Services, Council Headquarters, Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road, Giffnock, G46 6UG


Phone: 0141 577 3001

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)