Skip to content

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays)



Public Entertainment Licence



Public Entertainment Guidance Notes

Public Entertainment Licence

Why do I need a public entertainment licence?

A licence is required if you wish to hold any of the following types of events or activities where members of the public are charged entry or are allowed to use facilities for entertainment of recreation purposes.


(a) Open air concert;

(b) Circuses;

(c) Fairgrounds for which an admission charge is made;

(d) Large Fetes with tented accommodation for the public;

(e)Snooker, billiard or pool halls which do not have a liquor licence


The lodging of a new grant application form does not allow a person to trade unless and until the licence is granted and issued.


The following types of activity are exempt and anyone carrying on such activity will not therefore require a public entertainment licence:-


· An athletic or sports ground while being used as such.

· Premises in respect of which a licence is required under Section 41A of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982, while such premises are being used for the purposes mentioned in that section.

· An educational establishment while being used as such.

· Premises belonging to, or occupied by, any religious body while being used wholly or mainly for purposes connected with that body.

· Premises licensed under the Theatres Act 1968, Section 1 of the Cinemas Act 1985 or Part II of the Gaming Act 1968.

· Premises in respect of which there is a permit under Section 16 of the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976 while being used in pursuance of the permit.

· Licensed premises within the meaning of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 in which the public entertainment is being provided during the permitted hours within the meaning of that Act.

· Premises in which machines for entertainment or amusements are being provided incidentally to the main purpose or use of the premises where that main purpose or use is not as a place of public entertainment.











The licence itself may be held in the name of a firm or company (ie non-natural person) or in the name of an individual.


· Where the applicant is an individual natural person, the whole of question 1 should be completed, and question 2 should be ignored.

· Where the applicant is a company, partnership or other non-natural person, the whole of question 2 should be completed and question 1 should be ignored.


Please ensure that you complete every part of the form, including any convictions against you. If a question is irrelevant please mark it "not applicable" unless otherwise stated.


Please state exactly the type of proposed public entertainment you are applying for.


If you propose to organise a large scale event it is advisable to submit your application at the licensing section at the earliest possible opportunity due to the large administrative process involved. Generally, applications of this variety are best lodged about six to eight months prior to the proposed event.


Documentation which must be produced on submission of application is as follows:-


1. Your current UK/EU passport or Biometric Residence Card.

2. Applicants not resident in the UK must provide (at their own expense and officially translated if necessary) a Certificate of Good Conduct.

3. Applicants who have been resident in the UK for less than 5 years prior to application must provide (at their own expense, and officially translated if necessary) a Certificate of Good Conduct or similar document from the Justice Authority of the country where they previously resided.

4. Consent from the landowner.

5. Public Liability Insurance.

6. Inspection and Test Certificates for any fairground rides or equipment and public liability insurance for the same.

7. Layout plan of the premises or event if outdoors.

8. Risk Assessment(s).



Site Plan

The application form must be accompanied by a detailed site plan drawn to a suitable scale (usually 1:100). This plan must show exactly where the event is to take place, the layout of the stalls and rides, etc.


If your application for a public entertainment licence is in respect of premises a site plan is not required.



Application Fees

£720.00 for 3 years, £507.00 for 2 year and £267.00 for 1 year licence/temporary.


Payment is due at the time you submit your application at this office. Please note that applications cannot be emailed to us. You must print the form, complete it and post it, or hand-deliver it to the licensing office (at the undernoted address) with the appropriate fee. Please see the table of fees located on the Council website.

Application fees are non-refundable, even if your application is subsequently refused or withdrawn. However you will be entitled to a refund of the enforcement element of the application fee (15% of total fee). You will require to submit the request for this refund in writing to the council. Thereafter you will be issued with a cheque in due course.

Advertising the Application

If applying for a funfair, circus, or any of the activities listed above which involve amplified music or any other event which, in the opinion of East Renfrewshire Council, is likely to cause public concern, an advert will be placed in the local press and you will be responsible for the cost of the advert(s).

Display of Public Notice

The enclosed display notice requires to be completed and displayed at the location or premises to which the licence relates, for a period of 21 days, starting on the day the application is lodged at the licensing office. (If posting your application please remember the 21 days will not commence until the application has been received at this office).

If you are in any doubt about these dates,. Please contact the licensing office by phone on 0141 577 3001 or email us at for clarification.



Compliance Certificate

On the reverse side of this display notice is a certificate of compliance which requires to be completed after the 21 days date and returned to the licensing office. The dates on this certificate must reflect the date the application is lodged and the 21 days thereafter.

Both the display notice and the certificate of compliance must be produced at the licensing office once the 21 days date is over.


You will be required to produce evidence that your event is properly insured and that any rides or structures have been inspected by a qualified engineer. No licence will be granted prior to the production of these documents.

Planning Permission

Prior to submitting your application you may wish to consult East Renfrewshire Council's Planning Division to ensure that you have the proper planning permission.


If the event or activity you propose to licence is sited on privately owned land, you must obtain written permission from the landowner. This consent must also be produced to the licensing section when submitting your application.

Processing your Application

When your application is lodged and the appropriate fee has been paid, a copy of your application will be sent to Police Scotland, Strathclyde Fire and Rescue and various Council departments. Your application may also be sent to the UK Borders Agency. They will carry out their own investigations and inspections and report back to the licensing office. A copy will also be sent to the local community council for information.

We will usually process your application within 6 to 8 weeks. The legislation allows for consideration of the application within three months and a decision within six months.

If objections are received in relation to your application you will be sent a copy of the letter or letters of objection. Your application, the letter(s) of objection and your response will then be referred to a meeting. You will be called to a hearing before the Licensing Committee and given the opportunity of addressing the Committee.

Conditions of Licence

East Renfrewshire Council may attach additional conditions to the licence as it sees fit, with each application being dealt with on its own merits.

In the event that your application is granted, you will receive a licence. You must ensure that this licence is not altered, erased or defaced in any way. It should be kept clean and legible and must not be lent to or used by any other person. Should the licence be lost or become defaced or illegible you must obtain a replacement from East Renfrewshire Council on payment of the appropriate fee (see fees leaflet). Your licence must be produced on request from a police officer, an offer from Strathclyde Fire Brigade or an authorised officer of East Renfrewshire Council.

Duration of Licence

You can apply for a licence for a one, two or three year period if the application is for the renewal of a licence. However, if you are applying for this first time then you can only apply for a licence for a one year period.

Any Further Questions

Should you have a query that is not covered in these guidance notes please contact the licensing section for further information.

Contact Details

Tel: 0141 577 3001



Or write to:

East Renfrewshire Council

Legal Services

Council Headquarters

Eastwood Park

Rouken Glen Road


East Renfrewshire G46 6UG






Food Safety Act 1990

Food Hygiene ( Scotland ) Regulations 2006









Any type of food or drink can be sold from a stall. Some types of food are classed as high risk. These are the ones that could cause food poisoning if not handled properly. Examples of high-risk food: cooked meats, meat pies, sandwiches, quiches, cooked rice, cooked fish, dairy/cheese, cream cakes, shellfish, if not stored and cooked properly


The law requires that stalls be in good condition, kept clean and run as hygienically as possible. The basic requirements are covered below:


1. Inspections by Environmental Health: Environmental Health and Food Safety Officers have a legal duty to inspect food stalls and this visit is usually unannounced. We will always introduce ourselves.


2. Check List: Use the attached check list to make sure you are meeting the basic legal standards for selling food or drink from a stall.


3. Food handlers: Require clean clothes/uniform, no jewellery, hair tied back, not suffering from illness, not have been suffering from illness recently, any cuts covered, clean hands, no skin infections which might affect food safety, no ear or eye infections.


4. Surfaces: If using wooden tables, plastic sheeting or suitable washable covering material must be used. Work surfaces and equipment must be able to be easily cleaned.


5. Equipment washing: you will need a separate sink with hot /warm water and bactericidal washing up detergent. This can be away from the stall but still close enough to be able to be used regularly. Ensure you have enough clean equipment to last the day.


6. Hand washing:


Unwrapped food: you musthave access to hand washing facilities, preferably a wash hand basin(WHB), a portable WHB or 'Teal' unit would be acceptable.. The wash hand basin must be at your stall or adjoining.

Wrapped food: the use of hand wipes or alcohol solution is acceptable.


Hands mustbe washed regularly and before starting work, after a break, after handling raw food, after visiting the toilet.


7. Suitable Training for the food handling activities undertaken is required for food handlers at the stall. Bring a copy of any training certificates with you, as they can be asked for during an inspection. If you don't have any training you can work under the supervision of someone who has correct training. If you have a street trader licence from your Local Authority please have that available also.


8. Cleaning: have cleaning products with you at the stall. General kitchen cleaning sprays with a disinfectant and disposable cloths should be present at the stall.


9. Safe temperatures:


Cold food: High-risk food should be kept below 5°C. This applies to sandwiches as well as other high-risk food.

Cooking Food: Cook to 75°C or equivalent.

Food kept warm: Once heated, hot food must be kept above 63ºC or sold within 2 hours.

Reheated Food: Food must be re-heated to above 82ºC


You will need a thermometer to check the temperatures and bactericidal wipes to clean it between uses.


10. Protect food: cover or wrap food where possible. Keep food out of reach so that people cannot sneeze, cough on or touch food; alternatively provide a 'sneeze-screen'. Ensure 'objects' cannot fall into food, such as; insects, string, rubber bands,coins or stall decorations, etc.


11. Ready to eat food: (sandwiches, etc) must be protected from contamination. This could come from raw meat, shell eggs, dirty chopping boards, cloths, tongs or hands that have been touching raw meat, money, animals, children etc.... keep ready to eat food separate from raw foods at all times, wash hands frequently and use clean equipment. Use separate cloths or disposable paper towels to clean up surfaces used for raw and ready to eat foods.


12. Food prepared in advance must be treated carefully. If you make high-risk food elsewhere e.g. quiches, soup etc, you must make sure it is made safely, cooked properly, cooled quickly, stored in a fridge, not contaminated and transported safely and in a cool condition to stop bacteria from growing quickly.


13. Toilets: must be available nearby and on returning to the stall wash your hands again.


14. Toilets must be in a reasonable condition, with flushing appliances, running hot and cold or warm water, soap and disposable hand drying facilities or similar. Communal towels are not acceptable for hand drying.


15. Raw meat: if you plan to sell raw meat, contact Environmental Health before the event.


16. Waste and rubbish: provide a bin for waste at your stall; the bin should have a lid. All waste must be suitable disposed of during and after the event.


17. Water: Any water should be from mains water supply, where possible, and stored in clean containers; for vehicles a suitable and sufficient supply of potable water must be available with adequate supply of warm or hot and cold water for hand-washing and washing of utensils.


18. Wrappings: Any wrapping or packaging must be food grade if it is in contact with the food. Check with your supplier.


· 19. Best Before/Use-By Dates: Check dates on all food. Do not sell beyond 'Use By' or 'Best Before' dates.






To talk to about your food stall/event, contact;

Principal Environmental Health Officer on 0141 577 3031 or call the Service on 0141 577 3782















Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)