Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

News and announcements

Universal Credit coming to East Renfrewshire

The Council is working with its partners to ensure local residents are ready.

Universal Credit coming to East Renfrewshire

Universal Credit is set to roll out across East Renfrewshire on Wednesday 26 September and the Council is working with its partners to ensure local residents are ready.

This change to the benefits system has been brought in by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and sees legacy benefits such as housing benefit, income support, income based job seekers allowance, income based employment support allowance, child tax credits and working tax credits be replaced by one Universal Credit payment.

On 26 September, the change will only affect those of working age claiming for the first time or if there is a major change to their circumstances, such as a birth, bereavement or partner moving in or out of the home. Residents who are currently in receipt of one or more of the listed benefits will transfer to Universal Credit between 2019 and 2023.

As these changes come into force the Council is working closely with the DWP, Citizens Advice Bureau and Barrhead Housing Association to help residents to prepare.

"Universal Credit marks a significant change for our local residents, so I am pleased that all organisations involved are working together to help those affected in East Renfrewshire prepare ahead of its introduction. Whether you need information on eligibility, require support completing the online form, are looking for some tips on budgeting or need some digital training, there is help available through East Renfrewshire Council and our partners." Councillor Danny Devlin 

For further information on Universal Credit, visit

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)