Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Adults and older people

Assessment and eligibility criteria for social care

Information and leaflets about social care assessments and eligibility criteria

What is an assessment?

An assessment is an opportunity to assess your circumstances and discuss your care and support needs. The assessment enables a care plan to be developed which describes your needs and the support, service or guidance offered.

The assessment of your care needs is free.

For further details on the assessment including:

  • Why we do assessments
  • How we do assessments
  • What if my needs change?
  • Can I see what is written about me?
  • What if I am not happy with the assessment?
  • Who will have access to my information?

Download the leaflet:

Eligibility Criteria

The Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) uses National Standard  Eligibility Criteria to make sure that we provide services fairly to those in need and uses its resources effectively.

For further details on the eligibility criteria including:

  • How we do this?
  • When will you get help?
  • What if my needs change?

Download the leaflet:

Further information on assessments and eligibility criteria can be found at Care Information Scotland .

How much does it cost?

The Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) charges for a number of services.

Financial eligibility will be considered as part of the assessment process to determine contributions to care.  Charges may be applied after benefit entitlements have been checked and claimed. 

You can use the self assessment facility on the BBC website to get an indication of savings and income levels which entitle you to financial support for care from the council. Just type in your postcode to see a breakdown of the average costs.

Carers Assessment

Carers are entitled to an assessment of their ability to provide care, this is independent of any assessment of the person being cared for.  Further details of the free Carers Assessment can be accessed on our Support for carers page.

We are unable to offer assessments online, however, if you want to contact the HSCP please send a request to us by completing our online form .

An advocate can speak on behalf of people who are unable to speak for themselves or choose not to do so see our advocacy webpage for further information.

If you are worried about an adult or older person being at risk see our adult support and protection webpage.


Customer First (customer services)
Council Buildings,
211 Main Street,
East Renfrewshire.
G78 1SY

Council Headquarters,
Eastwood Park,
East Renfrewshire.
G46 6UG

Tel: 0141 577 3001
Mon to Fri 8.45am - 4.45pm 

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)