Cost of living payment
Cost of living payment is a one-off payment to help certain eligible households with the increased costs of living
How much can I get?
If you're eligible, you'll get a payment of £150 credited to your Council Tax bill for 2022-2023.
Who can get it?
You'll qualify for the payment if on 14 February 2022:
- you live in a dwelling in any Council Tax valuation band, are liable for council tax and are in receipt of Council Tax reduction
- you live in a Council Tax Band A-D dwelling, are liable for Council Tax and do not receive Council Tax reduction
you're exempt from paying Council Tax for one of the following reasons:
- all members of your household are care leavers
- all members of your household are under 18
- all members of your household are severely mentally impaired
- your home is unoccupied because you're being cared for or are caring for someone else
You won't get the payment if:
- your property is unoccupied, including second homes that are not your main residence
- your property is exempt from Council Tax for another reason other than those listed above
When will I receive my payment?
If you qualify, the payment will be made as a credit to your Council Tax bill for 2022-2023. You'll see this as 'payments received' on your bill.
Will the credit for the payment come off my Council Tax balance all at once?
No, the £150 payment will be spread across the months you pay your Council Tax.
Why am I receiving this payment as a credit to my Council Tax bill?
Due to the tight timescales involved, we don't have sufficient time or administrative capacity to gather bank details for bank transfers.
Where can I get support on money or financial matters?
Our Money Advice and Rights team can offer free, expert and confidential advice if you're worried about debt or struggling to manage your money, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0141 577 8420.