Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Council tax

Council tax discounts and exemptions

Find out if you are you to entitled to discounts on your council tax.

Some households are entitled to reduction in their Council Tax based on their personal circumstances or the condition of the property.

If you are on a low income because of DWP benefits or low paid work, you may qualify for a council tax reduction. This is separate to the discounts and exemptions listed on this page. Please go to:

To enquire about a discount or exemption please contact us about council tax.

To apply for any discounts or exemptions, please download and complete the relevant form from the related documents on this page and send to the address on the right:


Single person's discount

Council Tax bills are issued on the assumption that two adults are living in the property. If only one adult lives in the property, the council tax is reduced by 25%.

If your are applying for a discount due to a recent change in your household, you can attach document/s in support of your application e.g. Separation Agreement, Certificate of Registration of Death.

Note:  Please use the upload and attach file button.

  •  Types of files accepted as attachments: gif, jpg, jpeg, tif, tiff, bmp, png and pdf.  There is a 5MB size limit on all files that can be attached
  •  Please ensure that the documents you attach are complete and easy to read.  If documents are incomplete or are difficult to read this may result in a delay in your application
  •  If you want to upload the evidence and attach it to your application at another time, you can save and retrieve the application at a later date to upload the evidence

 Apply for single person's discount

Discounts for people not counted

Certain residents are not counted when working out the number of adults who live in a property and will mean your bill is reduced. Examples include students, student nurses, apprentices, long-term hospital patients and people in who have a severe mental illness.

Disabled band reduction

A reduction may be possible if someone in your household is disabled. Discount would involve a drop in Council Tax band (e.g. from C to B)  Band A properties can also be entitled to Council Tax discount. You can download a disabled person reduction form from this page- the form explains the facilities you should have available to claim this discount.

Second home  / Unoccupied property discount

A discount may apply if a property is no-one's sole or main residence. In East Renfrewshire this discount is usually 10%.


Where a property is unoccupied or is solely occupied by certain categories of persons, an exemption may be awarded.

Exemption from payment of Council Tax can apply where a dwelling is unoccupied:

  • and unfurnished
  • and undergoing major repair work or structural alteration
  • due to the death of the last occupier
  • and held for use by a minister of religion
  • due to repossession
  • and difficult to let because it forms part of another dwelling
  • due to legal prohibition
  • and owned by a charity
  • and was last used in connection to agriculture

Certain occupied dwellings may also qualify to be treated as exempt where all the occupants are:

  • Students
  • Under 18 years of age
  • Severely mentally impaired
  • Under 20 years of age and are school or college leavers

Energy Efficiency support 2017/18

Are you finding your energy bills high? Home Energy Scotland is here to help.

Home Energy Scotland, funded by the Scottish Government, provides clear and impartial advice to help Scots make their homes cheaper to heat.

Ways Home Energy Scotland can help include:

  • Free energy advice to help reduce your energy bills
  • The best options to make your home more energy efficient
  • Help with benefit and tax credit checks
  • Help to access the lowest cost energy rates from your energy supplier
  • Information about UK and Scottish Government energy efficiency grants and schemes
  • Free Home Visit covering all of the above if someone would prefer to speak in person

For free impartial advice, call Home Energy Scotland free on 0808 808 2282.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)