Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Council performance, statistics and spending

How we spend your money

Details showing how the council manage and monitor the financial resources of the council.

Financial management

Accountancy services, part of the Chief Executive's Office, is responsible for managing and monitoring the financial resources of the council.

It is this service's responsibility to produce the Council's annual accounts. Through the production of the budgetary control reports, the service monitors levels of expenditure and identifies variances. The service also manages the Council's treasury activity to ensure that borrowing is controlled. With input from staff in other departments, accountancy staff maintain the Council's efficiency register.

In 2017/18 Accountancy services will manage approximately £230.51m net revenue expenditure and provide financial advice to both elected members and departments. Government grants pay for £175.97m (76%) of the total expenditure, reserves will contribute £2.8m (1%),  and Council Tax meets the remaining costs of £51.74m (23%).

In setting the budget for 2017/18 East Renfrewshire Council has committed to extra investment of more than £4m in a range of key services.  This includes:

  • £1.6m in upgrading local roads and footpaths
  • £1.1m for education projects including putting our schools at the forefront of digital learning in Scotland
  • Reducing the cost of wraparound childcare in council nurseries by 50%, saving some parents more than £1,200 per year
  • £755,000 for a range of wider environmental improvements across the whole of East Renfrewshire
  • £100,000 for more aids and adaptations in the home for our most vulnerable residents.

These investments are in addition to a programme of capital projects worth more than £131m over the next eight years to drive growth and invest in key infrastructure projects.

 Financial documents

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)