Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Housing services

Houses in multiple occupation

Information about registering 'houses in multiple occupation'

When you must apply for a licence

If you rent out a property for a house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence from your local authority.

How to apply

All HMO licences are issued by the UK government.

Information you must provide

  • Scale plan of the premises: (6) Copies of plans.
  • Sample of tenancy agreement
  • Buildings insurance certificate
  • Public liability insurance certificate
  • Electrical Safety certificate: Includes PATS Testing of appliances,  Electrical Installation Condition Report and Smoke Alarm check.
  • Gas safety certificate
  • Fire Risk Assessment

You can find details of the full regulations in the Related documents area.

Application fees

  • For New Applications the costs for up to 6 people is £745 and for 7 people or over the cost is £945
  • For Renewals the cost for up to 6 people is £470 and for 7 people or over the cost is £610
  • There is no cost to supply a certificate of compliance
  • There could be additional charges if there are a changes to the licence for a house in multiple occupation

Apply online

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)