Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Environmental Health

Noise regulations and complaints

How to report noise from construction, alarms and anti social behaviour.

Noise associated with antisocial behaviour and dog barking should be reported to the Ring and Report helpline (see right)

Construction/Commercial house alarms and noise nuisance should be reported to Environmental Health (see right)

Noise from roadworks

Utility companies

Many of the roadworks within East Renfrewshire are carried out by utility companies such as gas, electricity and water.

These companies are statutory undertakers who are authorised to carry out works as necessary and East Renfrewshire Council do not have powers to control the level of noise they make or the times that this is carried out.

We do however request that in the case of non-emergency works, unless there are good reasons because of safety or traffic flow that these are carried out between 08.00 and 19.00 Monday to Friday and 8.00 and 13.00 on Saturday.

East Renfrewshire Council roads and transport section

Where practical our roads and transportation section carry out programmed road resurfacing and repair works between 08.00 and 19.00 Monday to Friday.

On certain occasions works may also be carried out between 09.00 and 16.00 on Saturdays and Sundays but these are restricted to situations relating to ensuring the safety of road users or avoiding severe congestion. Advance, warning that the works will be taking place will be given to adjacent properties.

However, where an emergency/immediate response is required to deal with flooding or where there may be danger to life and limb, unfortunately it may not be practical to confine these works to the above times.

Noise from works to railways

Network Rail have to carry out most of the maintenance and engineering work on the tracks, bridges, platforms etc. at nights and weekends to keep the trains running and they are obliged by law to carry out engineering works when the line is closed to rail traffic.

Other than emergency works, these are generally programmed well in advanced and we ask that nearby residents who may be affected are notified of forthcoming works and a 24 hours helpline is provided.

I addition, measures should be in place to minimise noise disruption as far as practical.

Where residents have complaints about such works we will take this up with Network Rail and any other companies involved to try to minimise disturbance and come to an agreement on measures that can be taken.

Network Rail operate a 24 hour National Helpline Service and can be contacted on 08457 114141.

We will investigate complaints of noise nuisance.

Construction noise

There should be no noise from construction or demolition activities (including deliveries or offloading) which is liable to cause disturbance to neighbouring properties outwith the following times:

  • 08.00 hours to 19.00 hours Monday - Friday.
  • 08.00 hours to 13.00 hours on Saturdays.
  • No such activities should be carried out on Sundays.

Intruder Alarms

Intruder alarms must be programmed to cut off a maximum of twenty minutes after activation. Intruder alarms which are continuing to sound after this time may be classed as a 'statutory nuisance', under Section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. 

Anti social behaviour noise

Where the noise is found to be 'anti social behaviour noise'  and the noise is found to exceed the noise limits  a warning notice may be served, requiring the noise to be reduced. If this warning notice is not complied with, a fixed penalty notice can then be served.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)