Problems paying council tax?
We can help if you're having payment problems with council tax, housing benefit overpayment or a council invoice.
Use this service to let us know you've problems paying council tax.
How to let us know
Tell us about about any payment problems as soon as possible. If you contact us early, we have a better chance of being able to help you.
If you don't pay your council tax
- If you fall behind with your payments we'll send you a reminder. We'll ask you to bring your payments up-to-date within 7 days.
- If you don't do this you might lose the right to to pay by instalments. We'll ask you to pay the full amount for the year, within 14 days.
- If you don't pay this amount within 14 days, we'll take further action. Sheriff Officers could become involved to collect the debt.
- You'll have to pay any expenses involved. This includes an extra 10% charge of the amount you owe.
- Your bank account and/or earnings could be arrested. Deduction can also be made from your Income Support and/or Job Seeker's Allowance.