Skip to content

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays)


Council tax

Problems paying council tax and other debts

We can help if you're having payment problems with council tax, housing benefit overpayment or a council invoice.

Make a payment proposal

Tell us about about any payment problems as soon as possible. If you contact us early, we have a better chance of being able to help you.

Make a payment proposal

If you don't pay your council tax

  • If you fall behind with your payments we'll send you a reminder. We'll ask you to bring your payments up-to-date within 7 days.
  • If you don't do this you might lose the right to to pay by instalments. We'll ask you to pay the full amount for the year, within 14 days.
  • If you don't pay this amount within 14 days, we'll take further action. Sheriff Officers could become involved to collect the debt.
  • You'll have to pay any expenses involved. This includes an extra 10% charge of the amount you owe.
  • Your bank account and/or earnings could be arrested. Deduction can also be made from your Income Support and/or Job Seeker's Allowance.

Contact Council Tax Recovery Team



0141 577 3208

Related information

Debt advice

Apply for a council tax reduction

Apply for a council tax discount or exemption

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)