Skip to content

 Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

Food safety for business

Register a food business

Apply to register as a food premises.

Why do you need to register?

You are required by law to register your business with the local authority it is based in. You must register with the Environmental Health Service at least 28 days before opening - registration is free.

Registration applies to most types of food business, including restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

If you have more than one premises, you are required by law to register all of them, or if the person in charge changes.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact the Environmental Health team.

How to register a food business

You can apply for registration of a food business online

Or download an application form from the attachment on this page and return it to the address listed below. You can also request the form by email or telephone. Please contact us on 0141 577 3782 if you require this information in an alternative format.

Your application will require you to provide information including:

  • Detailed plan of the premises
  • Your arrangements for waste collection and disposal
  • Water supply testing
  • Product testing
  • Pest control
  • Staff training
  • Record keeping
  • Any proposed changes to your business

You are required by law to tell us about a change to your existing circumstances


  • There is no cost to register a food business establishment

  • There is no cost to change your existing circumstances

What happens if I don't hear from the council within the specified time?

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within 28 days, you may assume your application has been approved or granted. If you are in any doubt please contact us.

Who to contact if you have questions

If you have any questions, please contact a member of the Environmental Health team:

Environmental Health
191 Carnwadric Road
East Renfrewshire
G46 8HR
Tel:0141 577 3782

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)