Skip to content

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays)



Market operator's licence

Apply and pay for a market stall licence.

Licence summary

  • To run a market in East Renfrewshire you need to obtain a Market Operator's Licence.

  • Such a licence is not required if the market relates to functions held by charitable, religious, youth, recreational, community, political or similar organisations or is held only for the sale of livestock, fodder, or grain.

Eligibility Criteria

  • No provision in legislation

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulations covering this licence can be found at:

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes, where the local authority fails to make a decision within six months of receipt of the application, the licence is deemed to be granted or renewed.

What happens if I don't hear from the council within the specified time?

It is in the public interest that East Renfrewshire Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.


  • A market operator's licence costs £254 (1 year); £514 (2 year); or £617 (3 year).
  • There is no cost to supply a certificate of compliance.
  • To change a market operators licence costs £40.00.
  • There is no fee to surrender a market operators licence.

Apply online

When applying for a licence you will leave this website and will be directed to the Business Gateway website. You are required to register with the Business Gateway website, this should take a few minutes, and you will be emailed your login details. A Help facility is available and is located at the top right of each application page - you can access this facility throughout the course of applying for a licence.

Application Evaluation Process

  • Applications must be made in writing (including by electronic means) and signed by you or your agent (including by electronic means).
  • The licensing authority will send a copy of the application to the local chief constable and to the appropriate relevant authority (or where applicable the enforcing authority under the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005).
  • The enforcing or relevant authority may be the Health & Safety Executive, the fire service or the local authority.
  • The licensing authority will place a notice in at least one local or national newspaper which states the premises and applicant details contained in the application, that any objections or representations may be made to the local authority, and how such representations should be made
  • If the application is for entertainment that will be mainly or wholly on the premises you must display a public notice detailing your application, in a public place at or near the premises for 21 days from the date the application is submitted. The notice must contain details relating to the application, where objections and representations can be made and how the objections and representations can be made.
  • If you are required to place a notice you must supply the licensing authority with a certificate confirming you have complied with the requirement.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the council in the first instance:

East Renfrewshire Council
Legal services
Council Headquarters
Eastwood Park,
Rouken Glen Road
G46 6UG
Telephone: 0141 577 4684

If you wish to appeal against a decision you may do so to the local sheriff within 28 days of the decision. The sheriff can only uphold an appeal if they consider that the licensing authority:

  • Erred in law
  • Used incorrect material fact when making their decision
  • Acted contrary to natural justice
  • Didn't exercise their discretion in a reasonable manner

Appeals against a sheriff's decision can be made to the Court of Session within 28 days of the decision.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the council in the first instance:

East Renfrewshire Council
Legal services
Council Headquarters
Eastwood Park,
Rouken Glen Road
G46 6UG
Telephone: 0141 577 4684

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, UK government: Consumer rights will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

  • E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations

  • None

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)