Skip to content

 Live chat  is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays).

We're looking for customers to give us feedback to help us improve our website and make a difference to our digital services.

Catchment areas and placing requests

When should placing requests be made?

Placing requests should be made by the 31 January of the year you wish your child to start attendance.

If placing requests are received by 31 January, every effort will be made to meet parents'/carers' requests within the limits of places available in schools, but you should note that it is not always possible to grant every placing request to a particular school.

You will have declared on the application form that the information that you provide is accurate and correct. The council reserves the right to request proof of where you are living and further information or evidence in some situations from you or other council officials.

Requests received after the 31 January may be considered after decisions are made for requests received by the due date.

If you are new to the area, you can apply for a placing request using the form above. Otherwise, in December/January each year, the authority will advertise its arrangements in connection with placing requests and which schools will still accept applications after January 31.

There are sound educational reasons for trying to ensure that the transfer or admission of children to a school takes place at the start of a school session. You are advised to avoid changing schools part way through the school session, to avoid disruption to your child's education.

Most placing requests are made for pupils to change school at the start of a new school session. However it is accepted that there will be circumstances when a placing request will be made for a pupil to change school during a school session. In such cases, requests will be considered in the order in which they are received.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)