Apply for or renew a Blue Badge

Find out about the blue badge scheme and how to apply.

The Blue Badge Scheme is designed to help people who are unable to walk, or who are virtually unable to walk, to travel independently, by allowing them to park close to their destination. This can be as either a driver or as a passenger.

Please note there is a £20 charge for the issue of a Blue Badge.  If your application is declined you'll be refunded via the original payment method.

What you'll need to apply or renew online:

  • National Insurance number or NHS Number
  • proof of your address
  • proof of your identity
  • a passport photo
  • details of your current badge (if you have one)
  • proof of your entitlement (if you automatically qualify for a badge) - complete the Eligibility Checker to find out. 

You can't use the online form if you're applying:

  • under Risk in Traffic

A Risk in Traffic application is for those people, who as a result of a diagnosed mental disorder or cognitive impairment, have no awareness of danger from traffic and are likely to compromise their safety, or the safety of others."

As part of your Risk in Traffic application we'll require a healthcare or social work or teaching professional who has seen you at some time over the last 12 months and who is not your GP to complete a Counter Signatory Form.

You should contact the Blue Badge team for an application form, we can post this out to you. Email  or contact our Customer Services Team on 0141 577 3001

Apply online

We've been made aware that another website offering to "assist" with a Blue Badge application is available via a number of major search engines. We've contacted these search engines to highlight this website.

The URL is http:⁄⁄ and http:⁄⁄ where a fee of £49 is charged to assist with an application for a Blue Badge. Please note that this website is not associated with the Blue Badge Service.

You can apply online to to or contact us for an application form by emailing  or phoning our Customer Services Team on 0141 577 3001.

If your blue badge has been lost or stolen you must report this to your local police station or online at Police Scotland. You're required to complete a Replacement Blue Badge application form and provide either the loss report from the local police station or the police incident reference number.

To obtain a replacement blue badge application form please contact us on 0141 577 3001 and we'll post one to you., Alternatively you can collect the application form from

Customer Services
211 Main Street
Barrhead G78 1SY


Main Reception
Eastwood Park
Rouken Glen Road
Giffnock, G46 6UG

You should return Blue Badges to your Local Authority if:

  • Your badge has expired
  • You're no longer eligible / no longer require a badge
  • You've found the badge you thought was lost or stolen
  • The badge holder has died (you do not need to notify us of the death)

You should tell us of any changes as soon as possible so that your details can be kept up-to-date and accurate.  

  • If you are moving from East Renfrewshire to another local authority area, we'll update your record and arrange for your details to be transferred to your new local authority.
  • If you're moving to East Renfrewshire from another local authority, please contact the local authority directly for advice.

  • Where a temporary badge has been issued for a period of at least 12 months, but less than three years
  • Where entitlement for a blue badge is linked to the Higher Rate of Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP). The War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS), Adult Disability Payment, Child Disability Payment and the Armed forces and Reserved Forces (Compensation) Scheme (AFCS) the period of issue is linked to the period of receipt of the allowance, where that period is less than three years


We have a robust procedure in place to ensure the process is more secure and to prevent the problem of badges being fraudulently misused. There is also the possibility that you may be invited to attend an Independent Mobility Assessment (IMA). These checks make the process more lengthy, but should lead to improvements such as better availability of parking spaces for people who need them.

We aim to process applications within 35 working days.

Fast Track Application - This is a process which allows people who have a terminal illness, that seriously limits their mobility, to be processed as a priority. A DS1500 form can be obtained from your Health Professional and you should present this to the Blue Badge Team along with your application form.

The aim of the Independent Mobility Assessment (IMA) process is to provide an objective and consistent independent assessment of applicants' eligibility under the 'unable to walk' or 'virtually unable to walk' criteria. Depending on the information provided on your application form, it may be possible to make a decision without further assessment or you may be requested to attend an IMA. The purpose of the IMA is to assess a client on an individual basis.

The appointment will last approximately 30 minutes and is carried out at our Eastwood Health and Care Centre, Drumby Crescent, Clarkston, G76 7HN.

You can pay for a blue badge by any of the following methods:

By Telephone:

By contacting our Customer Services team on 0141 577 3001

In person:

Payments can be made in person at:

Barrhead Council Office
Cash Payment Centre
211 Main Street
G78 1SY

By Cheque:

Cheques should be made payable to: East Renfrewshire Council

We are currently looking at ways to develop an online payment system for Blue Badge payments. We'll update this webpage when this is available. 

If you have been refused a Blue Badge, it may be because you did not provide adequate evidence of your eligibility with your application.  If you disagree with the assessor's decision, you may appeal and ask them to look at your application again.

You should write, e-mail or telephone us within 20 working days of receiving your letter from the blue badge assessor, stating the reason why you disagree.

The team will acknowledge your letter and record your request for an appeal.  It may help your appeal if you can supply further evidence of your eligibility for a blue badge, for example, medical evidence. Please send this with your letter of appeal to:


Telephone: 0141 577 3001

Blue Badge, Council HQ
Eastwood Park
Rouken Glen Road
G46 6UG

What happens next?

We'll arrange for your application to be reviewed by a senior officer and aim to respond to your appeal within 20 working days. 

  • Free of charge on metered or pay and display on street parking and without time limits
  • On single or double yellow lines where parking is allowed
  • Greenways where parking is allowed
  • Off street car parking such as those provided by supermarkets, hospitals and airports may have different rules 

  • On double white lines in the centre of the road even if one of the lines is broken
  • In a dedicated bus lane during its hours of operation
  • In a cycle lane
  • On any clearway, double or single red lines during their hours of operation
  • On all pedestrian crossings including Zebra, Pelican, Toucan and Puffin crossings
  • On zigzag markings before and after Zebra, Pelican, Toucan and Puffin crossings
  • In parking places reserved for specific users. For example, permit holders only, loading bays during times of operation and taxi bays
  • On residents' parking bays, unless there are signs showing that you can or you have checked with the Local Authority's Roads department that you can
  • In suspended meter bays or when use of the meter is not allowed
  • Where temporary restrictions on parking are in force along a length of road such as no-waiting cones
  • On school 'keep clear' markings during the hours shown on a yellow no-stopping plate

Always check roadside signs showing times of operation for loading bays. Restrictions will always be signed.

You must display your badge at all times. The front of the badge should face upwards, showing the wheelchair symbol.

Misuse of a Blue Badge is a serious offence, If you misuse your badge or allow others to misuse your badge, your badge will be withdrawn.

In Scotland, police, traffic wardens and local authority car parking attendants have the power to inspect blue badges.  They should produce an identity card with a photo on it to prove who they say they are.   

Blue Badges should only be used by the registered badge holder or for their benefit.   Please remember your blue badge should be displayed at all times when parking. Your Blue Badge can only be used if:

  • you're travelling in the vehicle as a driver or passenger
  • someone is collecting you or dropping you off and needs to park at the place where you're being collected or dropped

Badge holders must not allow other people to use the badge for their own journeys. Allowing someone else to use a badge is a criminal offence. To reduce the risk of this happening accidentally, the badge should be removed from the vehicle whenever the parking concessions are not in use.

Badge holders must ensure that the details on the front of the badge remain readable. If it becomes unreadable, the badge must be returned to the local authority for re-issue.

Any other circumstances are a criminal offence and you may be liable for a fine of up to £1000

Contact details:

For an update on your blue badge application please contact or speak to one of our Customer Services Officers on 0141 577 3001.

We aim to process applications within 35 working days.



Last modified on 8 February 2024