Blue Badge - privacy notice
Read the privacy notice for Blue Badge.
The Blue Badge scheme supports those with a disability that impacts on their ability to safely and competently mobilise assisting them to lead an independent life. The badge provides parking concessions for on-street parking, allowing badge holders to park close to where they need to go.
This notice explains what personal data (information) we hold about you, how we collect it, how we use it and who we may share your information with.
- process your application
- manage any Blue Badge misuse or fraud
- analyse the use of the Blue Badge scheme
We've statutory functions to process applications in terms of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons' Act 1970 and The Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) Scotland Regulations 2000.
In this case, as a public authority we gather and process information necessary to allow us to undertake our legal duties in line with our public task and statutory functions.
Where we process special categories (sensitive) of personal information about you, the processing is necessary for the purposes of carrying out obligations and exercising specific rights of the controller or of the data subject in the field of social protection law as set out in Article 9(2) (b) of the GDPR and meets a condition in Part 1 of Schedule 1 of the Data Protection Act 2018.
Most of the information we holds about you will come from you as an individual. Some of the information may come from other departments. Such information includes:
- Current address
- Previous address (if different from the last 3 years the when previous badge was issued)
- Date of birth
- National Insurance number
- Your photograph
- Contact details such as telephone numbers and email addresses for issuing of reminder renewal notifications
- Person and residence proofs you provide - we'll keep a secure note of the proofs you provide
- Eligibility proofs - proof of eligibility entitlement
- Desk Based Assessment (DBA) if you don't qualify for a badge automatically
- Independent Mobility Assessment (IMA) if you're needed to attend
Your information will be shared with the following organisations in order to process your application:
- Northgate Public Services (UK) Ltd - for securely storing your personal data and processing applications
- APS Group - responsible for the Printing, fulfilment and delivery of the badge
- Valtech Limited - who deliver the Blue Badge service on behalf of the Department for Transport
We'll also share your information within our other services and bodies responsible for the following purposes:
- auditing or administering of public funds
- to detect fraud and for the prevention of crime
- to protect the integrity of the Blue Badge scheme
- to investigate any potential misuse of a Blue Badge
If you've concerns about the processing of your personal data by us, you can contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing, visit the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) website.