Education - privacy notice
Read the privacy notice for education.
This notice is provided for clarification on what information Education Services need in order to process information regarding pupils, parents, carers and other individuals. It's necessary for Education Services to gather, collect, store and process personal information to help in the running and provision of an Education Service to communities throughout East Renfrewshire including primary and secondary schools, supported learning centres, and early learning centres.
- your name
- your address
- your date of birth
- personal characteristics such as gender and ethnic group, qualifications and/or training
- health or absence information
Where relevant and when applying for a school place you'll be asked to give additional information such as:
- council tax evidence and number
- a mortgage statement or rental agreement with an end date
- a landlord registration number
- birth certificate
- child benefit
- utility statements
- other catchment evidence
- Roman Catholic Baptismal Certificate detailing date of Baptism and name of Church venue
- Contract - the processing is necessary for a contract.
- Legal obligation - the processing is necessary for Education Services to meet with law.
- Public task - the processing is necessary to perform a task in the public interest or for official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law.
- Consent - in limited circumstances, for instance relating to taking pictures for promotional purposes, Education Services may rely on an individual's consent to process their personal data. Where relying on consent you've the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
Some personal data is classified as Special Category or sensitive and this can be defined as data relating to the processing of personal data regarding racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership and the processing of genetic data, biometric data, data concerning health or data concerning a person's sex life or sexual orientation. Education Services will have a requirement to process some types of Special Category Data and in particular:
- racial or ethnic origin information for monitoring purposes
- health information for pupil assistance and absence monitoring
- behavioural information
- The Scottish Government
- Education Scotland
- East Renfrewshire Culture and Leisure Trust
- Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA)
- Scottish National Standards Assessments for the purposes of assessment and qualifications
- NHS for the purposes of NHS immunisation and screening programmes
- Private nurseries
- Strathclyde Passenger Transport
- Scottish Children's Reporter Administration
- Police Scotland, in the case of safeguarding requirements
- Social Work Services
- Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
Additionally, pupil information may also be shared with approved external software organisations providing educational products such as homework or tuition apps / online services, so that our pupils can register and utilise the learning products.
Where information is shared with other organisations or processed on our behalf, we will ensure adequate protection by ensuring contracts and sharing agreements are in place that define security controls around the sharing of the information.
Education Services will also make any disclosures required by law and share information with other bodies responsible for detecting or preventing fraud or auditing and administering public funds.
If you've concerns about the processing of your personal data by us, you can contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing, visit the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) website.