Home education

Find out how to apply to educate your child at home and the support we offer.

What you need to know

You need to:

  • show you're providing an education that meets your child's needs
  • provide a variety of resources including physical education
  • meet the cost of this


Your child doesn't need to sit any formal qualifications but you can arrange for your child to sit exams. For example, through a school or college. However, you would have to pay for your child to sit these exams.

Withdrawing a child from school

You need to apply in writing.

In the letter you should include your child's name, date of birth and current school. You also need to outline your plans to educate your child.

What happens next?

We'll reply within 6 weeks of getting your letter.

The Quality Improvement Officer (QIO) responsible for home education will arrange to meet you. They may also meet with a member of school staff or an educational psychologist.

We'll take your child's views into account during the process. We'll also ask about your plans to educate your child at home.

We'll look at the application in line with United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Our decision

We'll write to you with either our decision or to ask for further information.

If we agree to you educating your child at home, we'll remove them from the school roll. You'll then be responsible for your child's education.

We'll let health services know to make sure your child can still get vaccines and health support.

When your child turns 16, the Skills Development Service (SDS) will contact them.

Staying in touch

We'll contact you once a year to see how you're getting on and give support if you need it.

You can give us an update through a meeting or other ways. For example, in writing or a recording. We'll also take your child's view into account.

After the update, the QIO will write a report and send you a copy.

We may ask for more regular contact if it's needed or if we have any concerns.

We can take further action if you don't follow up on any concerns.

Additional support needs

You can educate your child at home if they have additional support needs.

We'll ask you to outline how you will meet these needs.

Contact us 

Email: rosamund.rodriguez2@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk

Phone: 0141 577 3222

Last modified on 27 July 2020

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon