Find out how to register a birth.
Before you start
You must register a birth within 21 days.
How to make an appointment
To make an appointment phone 0141 577 3004.
We've 2 registration offices.
- Barrhead, 211 Main Street, G78 1SY
- Giffnock, Eastwood Park, G46 6UG
If your baby was born in Scotland, you can register the birth at any registration office in Scotland.
Who can register a birth?
Either parent if:
- married to each other
- in a civil partnership
The mother if parents are:
- not in a civil partnership
Both parents must be there to include both names on the birth certificate.
A relative can register a birth in exceptional circumstances. Contact a registrar if you need more information about this.
Documents you need to bring
- Notification card from hospital
- Marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applies)
Documents we'll give you
- Abbreviated birth certificate
- Form EC58, which lets you register your child with a GP
There's no cost for these documents.
Full birth certificate and fees
|When registering or within a month||10|
|After 1 month||15|
Phone: 0141 577 3004