Skip to content

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays)


Planning and building standards

High hedges

You can make a high hedge application if it's blocking light to your house or garden.

When you can make a high hedge application

The hedge must:

  • form a line of 2 more tree or shrubs
  • be more than 2 metres high
  • form a barrier to light in your house or garden

Before you can make a high hedge application

You must:

  • be the owner or occupier of the affected property
  • have tried to resolve things with the hedge owner
  • keep records of dates and things you do to try to resolve it
  • Write to the hedge owner at least twice in the last 6 months - 1 must be by recorded delivery or from a lawyer
  • send copies of the letters and any replies with your application

How to make a high hedge application notice

You can only make an application as a last resort if you can't resolve the dispute any other way.

pdf icon Download high hedge application [262kb]

pdf icon Download high hedge application guidance notes [230kb]

You must send evidence with your application.

High hedge application fee

The fee is £477.50

How to pay

We no longer accept cheques. You can only pay by debit card or credit card.

Pay online

You can also phone our payment centre on 0141 577 3008.

Lines are open Monday to Friday between 9am and 4.15pm. You must quote the reference number or address.

After you submit a high hedge application

We'll check the application. We'll also decide if you've done enough to resolve the issue yourself.

If we go ahead with the application, we'll:

  • contact the hedge owner
  • visit the site
  • make a decision

Our decision

We'll write to you and the hedge owner with our decision.

If we agree to take action. We may ask the hedge owner to:

  • reduce the height of the hedge
  • remove the hedge
  • set rules about maintaining the hedge in future


Both you and the hedge owner have the right to appeal.


Phone: 0141 577 3001

Related information

Scottish Government: High hedges

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)