Education Maintenance Allowance
Education Maintenance Allowance is a weekly payment of £30 to help support a student in education beyond the school leaving age of 16.
How much is EMA?
£30 a week.
Do you qualify for EMA?
- You qualify for an EMA for the 2023/24 school year if:
- your birthday is between 1 March 2004 and 28 February 2008
- you go to an East Renfrewshire school
- your study involves at least 21 hours of guided learning a week
- you sign a learning agreement with your school
- your household income is within the agreed government levels
|EMA amount per child
|0 - £24,421
|0 - £26,884
How to apply
Completed applications can be posted to the Barrhead Main Street office or can be submitted with pictures of all relevant documents to the EMA team.
If you're 16 up to 30 September
If you apply before 30 September 2023, we'll backdate EMA to the start of the school year.
If you apply after the 30 September 2023, your EMA will be paid from the date your application was received.
If you're 16 after 1 October
If you apply before 29 February 2024, we'll backdate EMA to the start of that term.
If you apply after the 29 February 2024, your EMA will be paid from the date your application was received.
After you apply
We'll write to you to confirm your application.
This letter will tell you how long we'll take to deal with your application.
How we pay you EMA
We pay EMA every 2 weeks. This is usually on a Friday.
We pay it into your bank account. We can't pay in into anyone else's bank account.
We don't pay EMA during these school holidays:
- Spring term
- October Week
We may stop EMA payments if:
- your attendance falls below 100% in any one week
- you're late
- you don't meet conditions of the learning agreement