Free or discounted travel

You can apply for a National Entitlement Card for free or discounted travel if you're disabled or over 60.

Concessionary travel card

Service information

Use this service to apply for a National Entitlement Card (NEC) if you're disabled or over 60.

What's a National Entitlement Card?

A NEC gives you free travel on most bus services and discounts on some train and subway fares. It can also be used for a:

  • bus pass
  • library card
  • leisure membership

Before you start

You'll need:

  • a recent passport sized photo
  • proof of age such as a birth certificate, passport or photo driving licence
  • proof of your entitlement
  • proof of address such as a current council tax bill, a bank statement dated within the past 3 or letter from residential home confirming you live there

How to apply

Age 60 or over

If you're age 60 or over you can apply for Scotland-wide free bus travel.

Applications can be made from 14 days before your 60th birthday.

Apply online (opens new window)

Paper applications can be also be submitted at your local post office.


Apply online (opens new window)

Video guides

The following videos offer useful information to help you understand the application process.

What happens next?

Once your application has been received with all the correct documentation, your NEC will be issued to your home address within 20 working days.


Last modified on 26 August 2022