Register a civil partnership
Find out how to register a civil partnership.
Use this service to register a civil partnership.
Before you start
You must give at least 29 days' notice for a civil partnership.
The earliest you can submit the form is 3 months before your partnership ceremony.
You need to fill in a CP10 form and make an appointment with a registrar to submit it.
Who can register a civil partnership?
Both partners must be:
- at least 16 years old when you register the civil partnership
- of the same sex
- not be related to each other in a way which prevents a civil partnership
- unmarried or not already registered in a civil partnership
How to register
What happens next
You'll be given an appointment in which you need to bring along original documents. A list of the documents you'll need to bring is below.
If any documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation. We don't accept copies.
For each partner
- Completed CP10 forms
- Birth certificates
- Proof of home address.
You also need to give names and address of 2 witnesses who are at least 16 years old.
If you've been married before
- Legal documents to prove any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended. For example, decree absolute document
- Death certificate if your previous spouse or partner has died
If you're subject to immigration control, we may ask for additional documents. We'll let you know this when you contact us.