Register a marriage

Find out how to register a marriage.

Service information

Use this service to register a marriage.

Before you start

You must give at least 29 days' notice for a marriage.

The earliest you can submit the form is 3 months before your wedding ceremony.

You need to fill in a M10 form and make an appointment with a registrar to submit it.

Who can register a marriage?

Both partners must:

  • be at least 16 years old when you register the marriage
  • be not related to each other in a way which prevents a marriage
  • be unmarried and not in a civil partnership
  • provide documents to prove any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended legally
  • understand the nature of a marriage ceremony and is able to consent to marriage

How to register?  

The location of your appointment depends on where your civil or religious ceremony will take place. 

  • If you're getting married in Barrhead, Neilston or Uplawmoor you should book an appointment at our Barrhead office.  

  • If you're getting married in Giffnock, Newton Mearns, Clarkston, Busby or Eaglesham you should book an appointment at our Eastwood office.   

Appointments take 30 minutes and are Monday to Friday in the Eastwood office and Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the Barrhead office.  Only one of you needs to attend. You must bring the documentation listed below, completed and signed, for both of you. 

Book an appointment online

If you're unable to select an appointment because your ceremony is in less than 29 days you'll need to contact the Registrars team or phone: 0141 577 3004 to speak to a customer service officer and arrange an appointment.

What happens next? 

Once you've submitted both your own and your partner's details, using the self-service form, you'll receive confirmation of your submission. This will have the date, time and the name of the office you need to go to.     

Our registration offices are located at: 

Eastwood registration office
East Renfrewshire Council headquarters
Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road
G46 6UG 


Barrhead registration office
211 Main Street
G78 1SY    


When you attend this appointment you need to bring along original documents.  

A list of the documents you'll need to bring is below. 

If any documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation. We don't accept photo copies.  

For each partner:

You also need to give names and addresses of two witnesses who are at least 16 years old and able to understand the ceremony. 

If you've been married before 

You also need to bring these documents: 

  • Legal documents to prove any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended. For example, Decree absolute 

  • Death certificate if your previous spouse or partner has died 

Immigration control 

If you're subject to immigration control and not a member of the European Economic Area, you'll be asked for extra documents. Complete a Declaration of Status by Non-UK Nationals form on the National Records of Scotland website.


View our marriage and civil partnership fees

Last modified on 12 July 2024