Brown garden and food waste bin

Find out what goes in your brown bin, how often it's collected, how to purchase a garden waste permit and how to request a new or replacement bin.

How often is my brown bin collected?

Your brown bin is collected weekly.

Please note, we only collect 1 brown bin for every household.

Garden waste permits

We have introduced an annual permit scheme for garden waste. If you wish to have your garden waste collected in your brown bin, you will be required to purchase a permit. Find out more and purchase a permit.

If you do not wish to purchase a permit, you will still be able to place food waste in your brown bin for weekly collections.

What goes in my brown bin?

Brown bin contents
Yes pleaseNo thanks

All cooked and uncooked food:

  • Beans, pasta and rice
  • Cakes and pastries
  • Dairy products such as eggs and cheese
  • Fruit and vegetables
  • Meat and fish including bones
  • Tea bags and coffee grounds
  • Pet food

If you have purchased a permit, you can place garden waste in your brown bin:

  • Flowers / plants
  • Grass cuttings / weeds
  • Hedge clippings
  • Sawdust / wood shavings
  • Small branches
  • Christmas trees
  • Liquids including oils and fats
  • Plastic bags / liners, foil and cling-film
  • Soil / turf
  • Rubble / bricks

How to prepare your food waste

You can use your own container or you can request a food caddy. Caddies are vented to allow moisture to evaporate to help prevent smells.

It's important your separate your food waste to allow us to recycle it.

You can:

  • put food directly in your caddy or brown bin and wash it out when needed
  • wrap food waste in a sheet of newspaper
  • line your caddy with a decomposable liner

Food caddy liners

We don't provide food caddy liners. However, these are available from most major supermarkets.

Waste not in your bin

We'll only collect recycling contained in your brown bin.

For excess garden or food waste that doesn't fit in your bin you can take it one of our household waste recycling centres or request a bulky uplift.

Material not suitable for your brown bin

If you put material in your brown bin that shouldn't be there we won't collect it. We'll also put a sticker on your bin to mark it as contaminated.

Replacement bins

If your bin is damaged and you wish to order a replacement you should complete our an online request form. If you have a garden waste permit, you should also order a replacement permit.

Last modified on 8 September 2022