Skip to content

Live chat is available Monday to Friday between 8.45am and 4.45pm (except public holidays)




Information about the emergency planning website for East Renfrewshire Council.

An emergency can be defined as an event or situation which threatens to impact human welfare or the environment.

Emergency events that could happen include:

  • Weather - floods, snow, storms ice or heat wave
  • Industrial - loss of power, heating or water; chemical or nuclear leak
  • Disease - pandemic flu or animal disease
  • Transport accident - road, rail, air or sea
  • Public safety - fire or terrorism

When an emergency occurs, the emergency services are the first to deal with the situation. Local authorities assist the emergency services in certain situations.

We have an emergency planning team who create and implement plans to prevent and respond to emergencies. Emergency planning aims to prevent emergencies from occurring, and if the emergencies do occur, implement plans to reduce and control the threats.

Within your area, the emergency planning service is called the Civil Contingencies Service. This is a joint service which covers Renfrewshire, East Renfrewshire and Inverclyde councils.

For more information, contact:

Civil Contingencies Service
Renfrewshire House
Cotton Street
Phone: 0141 618 7402

Out of emergency contact details

If you require an emergency council service out of hours or during public holidays, please contact the services below:

Housing repairs - 0808 003 1601

Homelessness - 0800 052 0180

Roads and lighting - 0800 373 635

Dangerous buildings or structures - 0141 577 3556

Registration services - 07798 875 297 or contact Giffnock or Barrhead Police station.

Emergency services are trained to check for your 'In Case of Emergency' (ICE) number. Carefully choose an ICE partner to put into your mobile (make it someone who knows your medical history) and save them as ICE1. If you wish to include more than one person save them as ICE2, ICE3 and so on.

Help improve this webpage

Was this page helpful?

Please use the official complaints channel if your comment is about service provision:

Complaints, feedback and having your say

(Include if you would like a response to your feedback)