Help with sight loss

How to request an assessment for help with sight loss.

What's available?

We provide information, advice and practical support to people who are experiencing sight loss. We can:

  • give advice on the benefits of registering as blind or partially sighted
  • issue equipment such as talking watches, clocks and books, symbol canes and liquid level indicators
  • arrange travel cards
  • provide mobility training
  • help you plan and prepare meals

Eligibility criteria

You can request an assessment if you're an East Renfrewshire resident and are experiencing sight loss.

How to request an assessment

Get in touch with our Initial Contact team.

A health professional may visit you at home to discuss your needs and agree what equipment or services could help you.

How much does it cost?

Mobility training and equipment such as talking watches and clocks, symbol canes and liquid level indicators are free.

We can also refer you to the Low Vision Aid clinic for assessment for a magnifier, which is free.

Help with costs

If you need help with costs to buy a large piece of equipment such as a computer or reading scanner we can contact a local charity.

Last modified on 2 June 2021