Clothing grants and free school meals
Find out if you qualify for a clothing grant or free school meals and apply online.
Who can apply?
You can apply if your child attends a school in East Renfrewshire and you receive a qualifying benefit.
Applications for 2021 to 2022
The online application works best with Internet Explorer.
Clothing grant value
The rate for 2021 to 2022 is £120 per primary school child and £150 per secondary school child.
Change of circumstance
If you received a clothing grant last year, it's important you tell us if your bank details or any of your circumstances have changed in the last 12 months. If you qualify for council tax reduction or housing benefit you'll receive a separate letter for each child eligible for a clothing grant.
|Will I qualify?||Clothing grant|
Free school meals
Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)
Job Seekers Allowance (Income based)
Child Tax Credit only with a gross annual household income of less than £16,105 for 2020/21
Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with a gross annual household income of up to £7,500 for 2020/21
Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with a gross annual household income of below £16,105 but above £7,500 for 2020/21
|Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999|
Universal Credit - where your maximum monthly earned income from employment does not exceed £625
|Council tax reduction||Yes`||No|
You'll need to send evidence to support your application including a copy of your latest bank statement, all pages of your current benefit award letter and P60 to 5 April 2021. Email all supporting documents to CCSBusSupportCGFSM@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk. Attachments must be in PDF or Tiff format.
Proof of bank details
A copy of your latest online/paper bank statement.
Proof of qualifying benefits
Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
If you receive any of the benefits above you'll need to send a copy of your current award letter.
Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
- 2021/22 Tax Credit award notice showing annual income for 2020/21
- Annual review award notice for yourself and your partner (where applicable) showing your total household income. You must also provide your P60
Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act
- Recent confirmation letter from Home Office. This must be no more than 3 months old
- We'll automatically check our benefits system. Please note, if you're not in receipt of council tax reduction from us we'll require you to provide screen shots from your online portal showing your most recent award details and earned income
What happens next?
After you apply:
- Payment will normally be made to your bank account within 15 working days of receipt of your application. This applies to applications with full and correct information
- If you're entitled to free school meals we will notify the school. We will not write to you separately to confirm this
- If you've made a placing request or your child is entering P1, payment will be made once your child's details have been verified by the school when they start in August
- If your child is entitled to leave school a clothing grant will not be paid until confirmation has been received from school that they have returned after the summer break
Increased early learning and childcare
If you get free school meals or a clothing grant, you may also qualify for increased early learning and childcare.
2 year olds who qualify can get 1140 hours of free early learning and childcare.
All 3 and 4 year olds get 1140 hours of free early learning and childcare.
School age payment
If you have a child starting school you may also be eligible for £252.50 School Age Payment to help with the cost of starting school.
For further information and to apply, go to the Scottish Government's School Age Payments pages..