Pay your council house rent

Pay online and other ways to pay your council house rent.

How to pay

Make a rent payment online (opens new window)

Standing order

Download a rent standing order form (PDF) [119KB] .

Post office

You must bring your rent card.


Make cheques payable to East Renfrewshire Council.

Write your name, address and rent account number on the back of the cheque.

In person

Pay by cash or debit card by calling into one of our offices.

We are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.15pm.

Between 1pm and 2pm, only debit or credit card payments can be taken.

Help paying your rent

If you claim Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) benefits or are on a low income, you might be able to claim Housing Benefit or other benefits.

Find out if you're getting the benefits you're entitled to.

If you need advice or assistance, you can contact any of the following:

Discretionary housing payment

If you get Housing Benefit you might qualify for extra help with your rent.

You might qualify if:

  • your Housing Benefit is reduced because of the benefit cap or spare room subsidy
  • you need help to stop you becoming homeless

How to apply


Council tenant rent responsibilities

You need to:

  • pay your full rent and other charges in advance as it says in your tenancy agreement
  • tell us about changes that could affect any Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction
  • tell the DWP about changes that could affect help with housing costs

Rent arrears

If you're having problems paying your rent, it's important you tell us as soon as possible.

The sooner you tell us the more chance we have to help you.

If you don't pay your rent you may be evicted from your home.

Cost of living support

Find out about advice and support available to help with the increased cost of living.

Last modified on 18 June 2024